Saturday, April 10, 2010

And I thought I could do it all!



As the boys are getting older I am quickly realizing my limitations. This time last year I had lots of seeds planted, all paperwork organized and garden planning finished. This year I have a few seeds planted, some paper work organized and a little bit of garden planning done. People used to say "you think your busy now, wait till you have kids", well I always resented those words and I hate to admit it but people were right. While I know I was busy before I had the boys I'm realizing my expectations of being a great mom/wife, organic vegetable farmer, farmers market board member and doing a good job at all were totally off base. I thought "of course I can do it all" how hard could it be? So far this year I have had to leave my position on the board of the farmers market, give up my booth at the farmers market for this coming season, cutback production and keep the CSA membership numbers the same instead of increasing like I had planned. Some days I get overwhelmed when I think of the coming growing season and wonder, can I manage and get all the work done? Luckily I have many sane influences in my life including a great friend Sally who takes time to reassure me that life with kids and farming can be achieved and it might just take awhile before things get back to "normal". Until "normal" returns I've decided to take one day at a time and enjoy the moments as they arrive. Taking more time to play with the boys, making use of every second of nap time by planting seeds, hanging laundry and taking time to enjoy pretty sunsets. The good news is I've survived the first 9 months of being a Mom of twins and I"m still smiling!!!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're doing great Jen! I try and cherish the moment while Lydia is still small...she's grown up so much already. If anyone can do it - you can!!
Love you

Maria said...

Jen, I also think you are doing a great job. You have tons of things on your plate, but what a wonderful full plate of love that you have. You are a very strong women and I am proud to call you my friend and super congrads on your award...that must of felt awesome. Well, we are always thinking about you and your family...kiss the boys and sgive Derek a big huge from me.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed. It must be all that fresh farm food you're eating that gives you your energy. ...and then finding time to blog about it. Phew! I am so impressed.