Tuesday, September 6, 2011

10th CSA Week




One word to describe tonight's CSA pick-up, brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to take a sweater and since I had been literally running around all day in rain gear I guess I never really noticed how cold it had gotten. So, I arrive at the pick-up wearing a fairly damp rain coat which was also wet on the inside of the sleeves to find out it had gotten down right cold. I believe I'll be breaking out the toque again and stashing in the truck for future pick-ups. As I type at 9:30pm my fingers are still feeling a tad bit chilled. But all in all another great Tuesday pick-up has been completed.

This week marks the half way point of the CSA, hard to believe seeing as its already into September. This season I added on two extra weeks from the 18 of last year as we had such a great growing season last year and could have easily gone another few weeks, hopefully the fall weather will be kind so that the veggies continue to grow and mature!!!

This weeks large share has cauliflower, 1 leek, potatoes, beans, carrots, red & white onions, broccoli, lettuce mix, garlic, zucchini, cucumbers, green or purple cabbage & baby fennel. I adapted a recipe I got this week (see below) from Kelly Hughes from Hughes Hill Farms which was very yummy!! I definitely recommend it. The grab box had dill, cilantro, parsley, leaf celery, basil, swiss chard, kale, lettuce heads, beets & more of the above goodies.

According to the weather man it was supposed to rain all day today. I was very thankful that nothing started until I was almost done my harvest and only had zucchini, some cabbage and the cucumbers to get during the rain. Around 2ish I saw a van drive up the lane-way and even though I was behind schedule I figured I best go and see who it was in-case it was a potential farm buyer or someone looking for more information. It ended up being this super cute older couple (they had to have been at least 80) looking to buy a cabbage. Not too strange of a request but they had just driven from Panmure Island for the cabbage to make cabbage rolls. Normally on a CSA day I would have told them all of the produce was spoken for but seeing as they drove all the way I could not deny their request. They had the best Danish accent and were very interested in what I was growing as they had always had an organic garden of their own but could no longer keep up with the work due to health problems. They ended up taking three cabbages and a pound of carrots and were very happy with their purchase. After they left I scrambled back down to the field to pick three more cabbages and finish off the zucs and cuks, talk about rush mode after that!!!!! My friend Kim who helps on Tuesday had other responsibilities today so it was also a bit hectic trying to get everything done, even though I did harvest some things last night it still seemed to be a day where I could not get ahead. So, seeing as I thought it was going to rain I decided that I should weigh out the carrots, potatoes and beans as I did not think anyone would appreciate doing that in the rain. I was totally behind schedule so I just weighed everything in the scale and put all items loose into the baskets. Sorry for the lack of order in the baskets today but better that than everyone getting soaked and cold.

So for the yummy recipe I mentioned above

Golden Roasted Vegetables (originally from Hughes Hill Farms)
1 bulb fennel (or a few baby ones)
1lb small red potatoes, halves (bigger ones quartered, white potatoes are fine too)
4 carrots, diagonally cut into 1/2" slices
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (i did not have any)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 onion, chopped into large pieces
chopped red onion, if you have any
1 leek, sliced into 1/4" rounds(remove the green leaves, just use the white & greenish stalk)

Preheat over to 375F. Line baking pan with foil. Trip stalks and feathery fronds off fennel bulb; reserve fronds. Trim bottom of bulb and cut into 1/4: thick slices. In medium bowl, toss potatoes, onions, leek and carrots with oil, thyme, salt and peppers. Add fennel slices: stir until just combined. Spread mixture in single layer in pan. Roast, stirring 2-3 times, until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes (took me about an hour but I have an old stove). Serve garnished with some of the reserved fennel fronds. I really enjoyed this dish, super easy, and very tasty. I hope you enjoy it as well.


Another fennel recipe sent by a member, thanks Craig.
Fennel and Grapefruit Summer Salad
Ingredients

1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups torn romaine lettuce
1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced

Directions

Place grapefruit slices and any leftover juices in a bowl. Stir in onion, fennel, and artichoke, coating with the grapefruit juice. Pour mixture into another bowl, leaving a small amount of juice in the first bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in the original bowl. Toss lettuce with the vinaigrette.
Divide lettuce onto 4 plates. Evenly distribute the grapefruit mixture on top of the lettuce and top with the Gorgonzola cheese. Place avocado slices on each salad and serve.


And yet another Fennel recipe sent by a member, I believe this is from Michael Smith's cookbook. Thanks Carolyn!
Lemon Fennel Slaw

1 fennel blulb
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp of honey
a few splashes of olive oil
a sprinkle or two of sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Remove the stalks from the top of the fennel bulb. cut the head in half through the core. Carefully trim out the woody core and then slice the remaining bulb as thinly as possible or shred through large holes of grater. Whisk the lemon zest and juice, honey, olive oil and salt and pepper together in a salad bowl. Toss with the fennel.
The recipe also adds that for variations you can toss a handful of mint leaves, chives or basil leave into the salad.


My Mom sent the following recipe along last night. I have not tried it but Mom said Dad liked it so that must mean its good, he's known for his "meat and potato" taste buds!!

Roasted Yellow Beans with Peanuts and Cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss 1 pond yellow beans with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Roast until browned in spots and tender, about 15 minutes, tossing halfway through. In a medium bowl, combine 2 teaspoons soy sauce, ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger, ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon light brown sugar. Add roasted beans and ¼ cup each unsalted peanuts and fresh cilantro leaves to combine.


A recent trip back to the woods for an afternoon of adventures. The boys found a black and yellow caterpillar in the weeds and were not too sure how to get by it. Don't worry I rescued them from the big scary woods monster!!!


Mr. Serious


The boys enjoying a few of the tomatoes that were spared from the blight disaster!!!


Ben really loves fresh tomatoes!!

I hope the back to school transition went ok for everyone, I know I used to be very nervous about the first day!!! Have a great week and lets hope tonight's chilly weather was just a one off and warmer weather returns soon!!!

Jen

No comments: