Tuesday, September 4, 2012

11th CSA Week


It's been a very long day today so I'm afraid this blog is going to be rather "slim".  It was a great harvest day and the weather was awesome, not too hot but just perfect t-shirt weather.  The next few days sound rather "damp" so the rain gear will be getting used for the first time in a very long time!!

This weeks large share had carrots, tomatoes, sweet peppers (some green and some red), onion, zucchini, cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, small bag of yellow beans, beets, broccoli, lettuce mix and kohlrabi.  The grab box had leeks, cauliflower, green onions, hot peppers, golden beets, green and purple cabbage, garlic, kale, swiss chard, dill, cilantro, parsley and basil.  I had planned on having fennel as well but it never made it so sorry for anyone who was expecting it in the shares. 

The winter squash is doing very well and after the wind on the weekend I could actually see just how well they are growing.  The plants took quite a beating in the wind and today I saw some very nice looking butternut squash and some beautiful Red Kuri!!!  It'll be squash season very soon. 

I was very excited to see so many red peppers on the plants today.  We've never had great luck in the past getting peppers to mature from green to red but this is the year!!!   Tomatoes are also doing great, I just wish I had more that would ripen at once.  It seems that every week folks are getting 1-1.5 pounds each but never enough to offer up any for salsa or canning which I had really wanted to do!!!  There are tonnes of green ones still to ripen so hopefully there will be more weekly quantity available soon.

Here are some pictures of this weeks farm adventures and today's harvest.   

Super sweet carrots!!  I roasted up a pan full of these carrots and potatoes on the weekend, amazing!!!

I roasted up the coloured ones as well, just amazing.

Finally, red peppers.  Lots more are turning on the plants now

Finally starting to harvest our "seed" onions.  The set onions we a bit of a disaster this year. 

Broccoli and cauliflower in the grab box

Loading up on this week's veggies!!
Beautiful tomatoes, those little orange guys are amazing

Leeks

More tomatoes, sure wish I could grow these year round.

Our oat cover crop is starting to take off.

Some items from one of the grab boxes

Fun golden beet we found in the field this morning

Giant zucchini!!!

Oh Sally, you really do love beets don't you!!


Packing bins

That beautiful tomato is called "Mortgage Lifter", not very pretty, prone to cracking but oh so tasty!!

Herb bin had dill, parsley, cilantro and basil today

Fresh salsa I made yesterday

Happy boys playing in the dirt

My giant tomato plant

Good times in the dirt

My boys!!!

No comments: