Tuesday, August 6, 2013

7th CSA Week




There is a definite chill in the air tonight!!!  Almost considering pulling out my comfy pants and ditching the shorts but that would require leaving the table so I guess I'll just shiver as I type. 

It was another great harvest day today.  The bins were filled with colourful veggies and members were so excited to see tomatoes in this weeks grab bin.  I'm pretty sure everyone got tomatoes if they wanted them so yippie for tomato season.  All of the large tomatoes are from the field while the cherry tomatoes are from the greenhouse.  We only grow blight resistant tomatoes outside to try and reduce as much as we can the likely hood of getting blight.  Defiant is our tried and true blight resistant variety but we are trialing two others as well this year. 

This weeks large share has fresh garlic, lettuce mix, spinach, beets, carrots, red and white sweet onions, lettuce heads, green onions, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans.  The grab bins had dill, parsley, cilantro, basil (lots and lots of basil!!!), sage, tomatoes, summer savoury, coloured carrots, collards, kale, swiss chard and more of the above mentioned veggies.  The small share had lettuce mix, carrots, red and white sweet onions, green onions, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli, fresh garlic and cabbage.

I am very pleased with how the main season onion crop is doing.  We have not had a great crop for two years so seeing how big and healthy they are doing in the field is awesome!!

So, I heard rave reviews from folks who tried the collard wraps this past week and Andrew shared a great idea as he used the collard greens in lasagna instead of pasta!!  Awesome idea Andrew!! 


I was pretty excited today when I was handed a brown yellow envelope at the CSA pickup.  Inside was the issue of the Japanese Magazine, Brutus, in-which our farm was featured along with several other Island growers.  I am so grateful to be able to have this for the boys when they grow up.  And doesn't my tractor look awesome!!!
Photo credits to Tetsuya Ito as issued in Brutus magazine.

Silly monsters





Sweet white onions.  Amazing






  The garlic got harvested last Friday and I was so pleased to see such nice uniform large bulbs being pulled out of the ground.  We had planned to have a CSA helping day on Saturday but the weather was a bit iffy so I decided to change plans and get it out of the ground on Friday.  I was disappointed to not be able to host the garlic harvest event but I was just so glad to get it out of the ground while it was dry.   

Very pleased with this years crop. 

Four seed varieties and one just for members to enjoy!!  So much garlic this year



   
Bumper crop  
















No comments: