Tuesday, August 13, 2013

8th CSA Week


Tired.....That is the word of the day, or maybe the word of the week.  I always find this time of year is hard mentally and physically;trying to keep everything organized, keeping on top of planting, transplanting, harvesting, weeding, e-mails, paperwork, and then trying to keep on top of everyday life as well.  If I could only find the dish washing and laundry fairy I'd be all set.

This weeks large share has lettuce mix or a lettuce head, spinach, tomatoes, garlic, cucumbers, zucchini, green onions, red and white sweet onions, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, beets and 2lbs of carrots.  The grab box has cabbage, dill, parsley, basil, cilantro, sage, baby coloured carrots, summer savory, kale, collards, swiss chard, green tomatoes and more of the above veggies.

It was a very busy harvest day today and for some reason I was very slack with picture taking and didn't even get a shot of this weeks large share!!  I'll have to take a picture of Thursday's share instead.  Here are some pictures that I did get taken on the weekend and first of the week.  Enjoy :)

Carrot Poppers.  Yes, they are supposed to look like that.  I thought kids would enjoy eating carrots that were shaped different

Tomatoes, so tasty

The boys went with my Dad on a potato picking adventure.  The had so much fun

Found a big one!!!

Filling up the bag with freshly dug spuds

They sure love their Grampy!!
Maritime Electric was finally out last Friday to hook up power to the new building so Derek was able to get the barrel washer all set up.  We had used it once last fall but we hadn't really used it for a big batch so this week was the first real big wash.
I wasn't sure how many I could put in at once but it handled lots of carrots with no problem at all

The carrots come out so clean!!!  I was able to wash about 160lbs of carrots in 15-20 minutes.  Awesome!!!!!
We finally got some rain last Friday.  It poured so hard for 10-15 minutes and then a nice soft rain followed for the rest of the day.

Transplants in the greenhouse that are ready to get outside

My daily harvest sheet plus my garden "bible" above.  These two things are always with me when I'm in the field

No comments: