Tuesday, October 8, 2013

16th CSA Week

It was a rather damp start to the day with some interesting windy down pour moments but the skies cleared and it turned into a very lovely day.

This weeks large share has carrots, spinach, parsnips, leeks, brussel sprouts, winter squash, tomatoes (so many tomatoes!!!), peppers, garlic, lettuce heads, onions and cabbage.  The grab box selection was pretty awesome with dill, cilantro, parsley, mixed winter squash, hot peppers, salad turnips, beets, green onions, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, lots of extra carrots and swiss chard. 

We gave out the brussel sprouts on the stalk this week.  Last year we snapped the sprouts off the stalk with our thumbs but that was NO fun at all.  So this year I bought a pair of heavy duty loppers and I cut off the stalks and put one in every CSA bin.  I know not everyone likes brussel sprouts but I thought it would be interesting for folks to see how they grow.  To get the sprouts off just snap them with your thumb and then peel away any not so nice outer leaves. 

Ben and Jake showing off the brussel sprouts they helped harvest. 
We had our organic inspection on the weekend and it went very well. I always get nervous and anxious before hand and worry I will have forgotten something but all of our paper work was in order and our inspector seemed pleased with how things are going.  We are certified right now to grow "certified organic transplants" and next spring the entire farm will be certified organic. We currently are in "tranistion".  It takes three years from the last prohibited substance was used to be able to be certified.  We were certified on our last farm so are not new to the process. 

We have two weeks left of the CSA season.  I have mixed emotions about the season coming to a close, one one hand I'm happy and relieved that it was a successful year and we're ending with lots of veggies and lots of variety but I'll miss seeing everyone and hearing about everyone’s new favourite way to cook a certain vegetable or seeing the kids get so excited about picking out their veggies.  I am looking forward to getting some time to sit down and analyze the season and get caught up on some crazy stacks of paper work.  But the winter somehow flies by so I'll be back at it before I know it!!  It's been an amazing season despite the weather and I'm so lucky to have such a great group of CSA members to share in this crazy farming adventure. 

Here are just a few pictures from this past week.  Enjoy your veggies :)

Savoy cabbage

Getting the winter squash all gather and into the greenhouse.  What you see above isn't even half of what we collected.
Squash anyone???

The cutting bar is not just for carrots and parsnip.  Works great on leeks too

Beautiful swiss chard

Love love love my cutting bar.  It's saved me sooooooo much time this season

Jake showing off the potato he found in Gramy's field. 

No comments: